NeuABC is a collaboration between US company Cricket Media and their Chinese partner Neusoft. Together, they provide online classes to young Chinese learners and offer US and Canadian teachers the opportunity to earn up to $18hr without needing a bachelor’s degree.
In this NeuABC review, we will look at what it takes to get hired by the company, what you can expect from the classes, and why we really like NeuABC as an option for teachers looking to get their feet wet with online teaching.
NeuABC made our list of the Best Places to Teach English Online with No Degree in 2022
NeuABC Requirements: What Do You Need to Get Hired?
At first glance, there are no surprises when it comes to the NeuABC hiring requirements – they follow the same formula as other established online teaching companies.
However, when you look at the application portal itself, there is a noticeable difference: they will hire teachers with an associate’s degree.
Get Certified to Teach Anywhere!
Let’s look at each section in more detail:
- Degree required? Yes, applicants must have at least an associate’s degree in order to apply, though a bachelor’s is preferred.
- Specific nationality required? Yes, as of right now, NeuABC is only hiring American and Canadian teachers.
- Native speakers required? Yes, each teacher must speak English at a native level so simply having residency in either the US or Canada is not going to cut it.
- Teaching certificate required? Yes, every applicant must have a TEFL or TESOL certificate OR be willing to complete one within 6 months of being hired. If you don’t yet have a certificate then our 120hr online course will get you certified and qualified to teach for NeuABC – we provide digital certification immediately upon completing the course so you don’t need to wait for the mail!
- Are there any technical requirements? Yes, the teacher must meet the following device and connection requirements:
- Are there any scheduling requirements for NeuABC classes? Yes, NeuABC requests their teachers be available to work at least 4 hours per week. Beyond that your schedule is flexible, though you will need to teach according to the Chinese time zone (more on this below).
What About Soft Requirements?
In addition to the core teaching requirements, NeuABC also outlines a few “nice-to-haves” when it comes to their teachers:
- Teaching experience: ideal teachers will have at least some teaching or tutoring experience and be comfortable working 1-on-1
- Experience with children: NeuABC students are between ages 3-13 so any experience working with kids is a big plus!
- Comfortable with technology: teachers will be presenting all lessons online so being familiar with programs like Zoom, PowerPoint, etc is necessary – you will also need to be comfortable troubleshooting any issues that might arise.
While there are some definite restrictions regarding your nationality and English ability – the big takeaways here are that NeuABC will hire applicants with just an associates degree and give teachers 6 months to complete their TEFL – not bad when it comes to reputable online teaching jobs!
What Does NeuABC Pay?
NeuABC pays $9 per session or 30 minute class. If you do the math, that equates to $18/hr or a minimum of $72 per week if you only work the required 4 hours.
That might seem like less than other big online teaching companies, but in reality it’s on par with the industry average as the bigger companies usually advertise an amount you might make if you check all the boxes. In that regard, NeuABC has the benefit of being incredibly transparent – there are no attendance bonuses or retention goals you have to hit to get paid – if you teach a session then you know what you will earn from it.
How Do You Get Paid?
While NeuABC is very much up front with their rates, they are a bit behind when it comes to how you collect – at the time of writing the company still sends checks in the mail to their teachers every 2 weeks.
I’m sure they’re thinking about a quicker and more seamless solution, but for now you’re going to have to wait for that check to arrive and deposit it into your account the old fashioned way.
What About Taxes?
If you get hired by NeuABC then you are considered an independent contractor and are responsible for your own taxes. This means you will pay everything from income to employment taxes and not receive any benefits like a retirement plan.
This is pretty much par for the course when it comes to online teaching these days so make sure you understand what’s required of you when it comes tax time (and be sure to save some of each check for the tax man!).
What Are NeuABC Classes Like?
To answer this question, let’s look at what makes up the average NeuABC class: the schedule, the students, and the platform.
You already know that NeuABC requires their teachers to work at least 4 hours per week during peak hours – these will almost always coincide with mornings and evenings in China so make sure to figure out what that looks like for you based on your time zone.
The rest of your schedule is flexible with the idea that you can work as little or as much as you’d like, NeuABC even provides a breakdown of when their ‘busy’ hours are:
NeuABC says their students are between 3-13 years of age and it’s pretty safe to assume that you’re going to be teaching a wide variety of ages and abilities, especially when starting out.
The good news is that NeuABC employs a 1-to-1 teaching model where you will only have a single student in your class – this will make it much easier to tailor your lesson to their level as opposed to trying to juggle multiple students with different abilities.
NeuABC relies on the ClassIn platform to deliver lessons – it serves as the link between you and your students and comes with a robust set of features that make it easy to use a virtual whiteboard, reward students, and assign homework.
ClassIn is an independent, third party system that is not affiliated with NeuABC – this is a huge plus for 2 main reasons:
- It’s not proprietary – there are plenty of online teaching companies out there that have tried to build their own platform and failed. Or worse, they pushed ahead and made their teachers rely on a piece of software filled with bugs. The fact that NeuABC is paying for their teaching platform means that as a teacher you can expect better support, better features, and a more well rounded teaching experience.
- It’s not free – the flip side of developing your own platform is using a free service like Zoom or Skype. Yes, this can work, but the downside is you’re severely limited when it comes to features and things like having the ability to reuse meeting IDs or go beyond the free amount of time.
I think we’ve done a pretty good job explaining the ins and outs of what to expect from NeuABC (as well as what we like about the company), but it’s also important to solicit feedback from other teachers.
Here’s what we found:
And this great video from Michelle:
NeuABC Hiring Process
The hiring process is one thing that NeuABC is not that up front about (at least in terms of publishing what to expect) but we did find some anecdotal stories on how it works:
- First interview via Zoom
- 1-way video interview
- Background check
- Sign contract
- ClassIn training
- Open schedule & start teaching!
Do you need a bachelor’s degree to teach for NeuABC?
No! NeuABC only requires an associate’s degree to get hired as a teacher.
Do you have to be a native speaker to work for NeuABC?
Yes, NeuABC is currently only hiring Canadian and American teachers.
How much can I make with NeuABC?
NeuABC pays $9 per 30min session, or $18 per hour.
Do I need a TEFL to work for NeuABC?
Yes, all teachers must obtain a TEFL certificate within 6 months of being hired.
Want to apply? Here’s the link – good luck!