When it comes to earning your TESOL certificate, Los Angeles is full of options and thousands of nearby residents earn their TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language)/TESOL (teaching English as a second language) certification each year.
A reputable, accredited TEFL certificate significantly enhances a teaching candidate’s appeal on an application.
Here, we’ll review the various courses hosted in the LA area, including their relative benefits and drawbacks.
Let’s get into it!
General Requirements to Get TEFL-Certified in Los Angeles, CA
Each TEFL/TESOL program varies slightly in its requirements for applicants – some are more stringent while others are more open.
In general, to gain acceptance into a TEFL course, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high level of English proficiency (i.e., native competency)
- Have earned a high school diploma or equivalent
Some more exclusive TEFL courses — such as those hosted by LA institutes of higher learning — have tougher standards like:
- 4-year university degree
- Written application
- Minimum GPA
TEFL Certification Courses in Los Angeles, CA
Let’s review a handful of the top TEFL certification courses in LA to help you get a better idea of your options.
TEFL Hero ($99) – Online Option
Founded by a group of ESL teachers, TEFL Hero was created to provide accessible, affordable, high-quality TEFL training in an all-online, intuitive format. Drawing on their own experiences with input from experts, the TEFL Hero team built the ESL training program to help teachers learn the fundamentals necessary to succeed in person and online.
The 120-hour online TEFL course offered by TEFL Hero is recognized worldwide and leading global TEFL accreditation firm ACCREDITAT certifies the course for the quality of its curriculum.
TEFL Hero’s course curriculum covers:
- Effective ESL lesson planning
- Reading, writing, and grammar instruction to non-native speakers
- Classroom management
At $99, as we will explore in the following sections, TEFL Hero is significantly more affordable than other options in the Los Angeles area.
UCLA Extension TESOL Certification Program ($3,260)
The Bruins host a reputable TESOL course in Los Angeles that is 100% online. Keep in mind that TESOL and TEFL are interchangeable – so don’t worry about the confusing acronyms.
The UCLA Extension course covers:
- Secondary language acquisition theory
- ESL teaching methods covering reading, writing, listening, and speaking
- Cultural competency and cultural diversity training (valuable for better understanding foreign students’ attitudes and preferences)
The total course cost ($3,260) includes:
- Application and Candidacy Fee ($140)
- Program tuition ($3,100)
- Textbook materials ($20)
The program is broken up into 6 separate courses. Attendees must pass each to earn their TESOL certification:
- Introduction to the TESOL Program
- TESOL Practicum Portfolio
- Cultural Perspectives and Teaching Methods in TESOL
- Introduction to Linguistics for TESOL Educators: English Grammar and Language
- Instructional Technologies for TESOL Classrooms
- TESOL Methods: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking
Location: UCLA Extension Physical address:
UCLA Extension Admin Building: Academic Program Departments and Admin Offices
10960 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1600 & 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90024
The bottom line is that UCLA’s Extension is in-depth, accredited, and highly regarded in the industry. However, the significant downsides are high cost and lengthy course requirements.
CalState (LA) Certificate for Teachers of English Learners ($4,098)
CalState’s TEFL training is a post-baccalaureate program, meaning that it is intended for learners who have already gained a related bachelor’s degree and want to expand their credentials.
Most students who enroll in these programs are master’s degree students and many already have teaching experience. CalState’s program is better suited as a professional development tool than as an entry-level TEFL course.
Applicants who are not currently CalState students must have a minimum 2.75 GPA and eligibility for admission to graduates studies per the university’s requirements.
In addition to the GPA standard, applicants must also have the following qualifications:
- Writing Proficiency Examination passing score
- Score of 80 or above on the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (international students only)
The total cost of the course (12 credit hours under Cal State’s standard tuition rate for California residents) is $4,098.
Location: CalState TEFL program address:
Division of Applied and Advanced Studies in Education
Charter College of Education
California State University, Los Angeles
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA, 90032
Oxford Seminars TEFL Course ($1,295)
Oxford Seminars hosts a 120-hour online/in-person hybrid course. The course is a mix of live instruction and self-guided online study, which can be a good fit for those seeking a TESOL certification in Los Angeles but aren’t ready to commit to a full-blown in-person course.
The curriculum includes training on technology use in the classroom, various learning theories, and teaching practice (real-world observed teaching practice with feedback from expert ESL professionals).
One of the standout features of Oxford Seminars is post-graduation assistance in finding and landing a lucrative ESL teaching position. Accessing an international network like Oxford Seminars’ will open up career opportunities that you might not have known about otherwise.
Location: Oxford Seminars LA Address:*
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
*Oxford Seminars hosts the in-person segments of its courses at CalState but the program is not affiliated with the university.
ITTT TESOL Los Angeles California ($1,295)
International TESOL and TEFL Training (ITTT) is a globally recognized leader in ESL training. In operation since 1998, ITTT is one of the best-established TEFL training groups in the world.
The most attractive feature of ITTT’s LA course is the low barrier to entry:
- No age requirement
- No degree requirement
- No teaching experience requirement
- Open to fluent native and non-native speakers
The total course cost ($1,295) is broken down into the initial down payment ($700) with the remainder ($595) due at the start of class.
Loctation: ITTT’s LA office is located in downtown Santa Monica.
Get Certified to Teach Anywhere!
What to Expect From Your Los Angeles TEFL Course
TEFL training can be intimidating for the uninitiated. Knowing what to expect can help you prepare to get the most out of your course:
- Curriculum: Generally speaking, TEFL courses cover best teaching methods, underpinning learning theories to best reach students, classroom management techniques, cultural issues related to teaching foreign students, and, in some cases, real-world teaching practice.
- Timeline: Depending on the intensity and type (in-person, online, or hybrid) of the course, you can expect to spend 1-2 months for shorter programs (TEFL Hero and ITTT) and up to a full semester or more with CalState and UCLA Extension.
- Workload: If you work full-time, you might want to consider an all-online, self-paced option like TEFL Hero so that you don’t overburden yourself. When you can dictate your own learning pace, you won’t feel as squeezed for time in terms of finishing all of the required work, allowing you to relax and fully absorb the material.